Monday, November 30, 2009

Flattery

A man who flatters his neighbor spreads a net for his feet. Proverbs 29:5

Last night I was watching the movie version of Pilgrim's Progress with my husband. One small part stuck with me after. It was when Christian and Hopeful met Flatterer. What left an impression on me in the allegory was that this character was not some smooth talking turkey. Oh no, that would have been easy to spot. The character actually looked similar to the "Shining one" (another character in the movie) and seem to give the 2 pilgrims 'information' they needed, seemingly leading their tired souls to an easier path. Believe me if you have been a Christian for any amount of time, you have those days when you need some good, encouraging words and it seems like the devil knows just the right 'brother' or 'sister' to send to you despite the warnings God sends, and just before the true refresher. If you are weary enough you may fall for flattery and inevitably be caught in a net. I can recall going through a terrible lonely period in my life years ago and I mentioned my feelings to my husband on a Friday. Come Monday morning I had a visitor in my office, saying the things I needed to hear someone say. Fortunately for me after speaking to my husband I had taken my complaint to the One, the only One who could truly understand what was going on inside of me. (Let's face it, unless our husbands, boyfriends, wives, best friends, pet rabbit etc. are psychiatrists, they may not have the answers we need all the time especially when the issue stems from something going on inside). So anyway, I had one of my break down, I'm undone prayer sessions and then listened for some word. The answer was simply 'eagles fly alone, God was trying to teach me something and I had to go through that time of what felt like isolation'. I can't recall how it came. Sometimes I hear a message by someone or recall something or happen to hear a song and within the words I get the notion that it's the answer to my prayer.

Back to the Monday morning. I sat there just listening wondering if maybe this person was the "friend" God was sending me, in spite of the answer I thought I got. I admit I was desperate and wavering, thank God for grace. However, as the conversation continued the Holy Spirit started putting up red flags. I wish every Christian could come to that place that their discernment is so exercised that even when they are weary and prone to fall, the Spirit can still grab their attention.
Have you ever been flattered in a way that you just wanted to soak it all in, just for a moment? Life had hit a rough spot and you know, it just seemed like a word in due season???? Then here is something for you to chew on till I get back.....A lying tongue hates those who are crushed by it, and a flattering mouth works ruing Proverbs 26: 28

By the way the illustration in the movie led to the pilgrims being caught in a net. It was timely for me because on that same Sunday I was almost blindsided by another flatterer....

No comments:

Post a Comment