Friday, November 27, 2009

Before honor comes humility

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18

I saw a sad sight today and my heart is so heavy I must write about it. I was driving along with my mom and kids and we passed a man walking at the side of the road. I thought to myself, "he looks vaguely familliar". As if reading my thoughts (or realising that I didn't wave to the individual) my mom informed me of who it was and proceeded to tell me a shocking sad story. Indeed I didn't recognise him fully because he was a shell of himself. He had a congenial personality, rather cocky and bold. When he entered a room he had a presence. The person I saw was bent, distraught, distinct opposite from what I knew not so long ago. He was riding high but life pulled the rug out. I came home and rendered a heartfelt prayer for this man. I wish I could tell Him to lift up his head. Look to the creator. Turn over the hurt, the pain, the anger and recieve what no man could give.

On Sunday evening my family's bible study was based on King Nebuccadnezzar's downfall that God sent because of his pride (Daniel 4). For this week we were to remember to give God thanks for every accomplishment and ascribe the glory to Him instead of taking credit. It sure helped me remember who is truly in control. Our own pride can bring us down. Unfortunately it's hard for us to acknowlledge muchless see that we are prideful in anyway. God is so good that even if we are brought down by pride, the reverse is also true,  humility could lead to honor.
Before his downfall a man's heart is proud, but humility comes before honor. Proverbs 18:12

Father, please help your children to hate pride and walk in true humility. Not self debasement that is based on pretense or just trying to prove to other people that we are humble, but the acknowledgment that although we are children of the Most High, you are the one in total control and any great thing we accomplish is for your glory. In Jesus name, Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. Amen Sis,

    So true in the society we live in it is too easy to forget that without God we could do/would be nothing.

    ReplyDelete